Saturday, June 20, 2009

Is this what's in store?

In a couple of recent discussions about racism and how my time in New York has influenced my thinking on the subject, I've mentioned that upon first arriving in New York, I was annoyed by those who bemoaned racial inequalities in the City, and specifically in NYU. I rolled my eyes and declared, "What racism?" What's amazing is that the lack of in-your-face or thinly, thinly veiled behind you're-smarter-than-most-niggers smiles, made me much more acutely aware of the more subtle ways in which racism manifests itself within individuals and the not-so-subtle way it's permeated almost every system in society. I won't even get started on the oblique racial tensions in certain neighbourhoods.


Now, however, with my increased sensitivity to racism, I am finding myself less steeled against the way it manifests itself in normal, less-liberal societies, where apparently the ideas liberals have about all-Republicans being racists is generally accepted - especially by Republicans. While browsing the Rants and Raves section (one of my favorite NYC Craigslist sections) of the Cincinnati Craigslist, I found a plethora of posts specifically about interracial dating and race in general. Here are some of the gems.



  • "you give the nasty nigger's everything and they use you up and throw you away and then you wonder why you can't come back to the hard working, respectful white men in your neighborhood. they are carrier monkey's. they spread disease and you are the plight of our community.this madness need's to stop!"
  • "i said well, really my friends are republicans, i know its a long word, but they arent libs and definitely would not enjoy a ball game loaded with ACLU lovers and libs like rosie o donnel all over the place etc...i said im simply saying that civil rights although beneficial for some and for good reasons, is really set up for the litigation happy jews to pounce on hardworking civil servants like cops that risk theyre lives in the ghettos and get sued for millions. i advised both wiggerettes, i said listen, the civil rights have benefited the jew lawyers more than anyone as they love excessive force cases!"

No comments:

Post a Comment